Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Greatest Hits, Vol. 1

Wow, so thanks largely to the generous linkage of Alex Ross and the intrepid eyewitness reporting of our friend Matt, Saturday's post on the craziness at that Eötvös concert is already this blog's most-trafficked item, by a longshot. So that made me curious, what makes for a popular posting? Let's break down the rest of the top 10:
2. I extoll the pleasures of sado-masochism in new music. 3. I post an actual photograph of Igor Stravinsky's genitals. 4. ¡Dudamel! 5. Robert King, founder of the King's Consort, probably deserved to go to jail, but I'm still very sad about it. 6. In honor of the Messiaen centenary, I watch cartoons and misread Kleist. 7. I say mean things about a fellow critic. 8. I find out where Polovtsia is. (SPOILER: It's inside my heart!) 9. I am stalking that guy from 8th Blackbird. 10. What part of NEW MUSIC MORMON IN GAY FASCIST SEX SCANDAL don't you understand.
So, what have all of these articles have in common? With a few exceptions, bad behavior, mainly sexual depravity. I do believe the people have spoken. And you are sick. Very well, it's nothing but filth from here on out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Graham Sleight said...

Found your blog via Alex Ross, and have enjoyed paging through your greatest hits. (Links 7, 9 & 10 don't currently work, though, because they have "www.blogger.com" at the front.)

One specific comment, about the Robert King trial. Reporting of it was pretty muffled over here in the UK too, though his original arrest was quite high-profile. The stuff about him not being banned from working with minors would normally work our right-wing press (and some regular people) into hysteria, but there was barely a ripple.

February 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Dan Johnson said...

Thank you! Links fixed.

February 3, 2009 at 9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure of the ethics of exposing a man's genitals to public view when you know it would probably have scandalised him.

February 4, 2009 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger Dan Johnson said...

I appreciate your concern, Precent, but this is no pap-snap. Our Igor was quite proud of his body and, I believe, posed for more than one nude photo. The nudie pic was posted apropos of Jeremy Denk's blog last April, which quoted Stravinsky's best friend Robert Craft:

In 1911 Stravinsky sent the composer Maurice Delage a nude photograph of himself in profile, with the upwardly mobile nozzle prominently exposed, and during a vacation in his country residence, they were joined by the notoriously homosexual Prince Argutinsky, whose correspondence, still in private hands in Paris, is a major source untapped by Stephen Walsh. Stravinsky’s pride in his [scandalous word indicating male member] is most evident in a note to Diaghilev, responding to a letter from him in a depressed mood: “If I cannot help you with my music, what can I help you with? Despite my admiration for my male member, I am not willing to offer you consolation with it.” (22 February 1922: Biarritz.)

February 4, 2009 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, in that case bring 'em on.

February 4, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home