Thursday, January 15, 2009

Four Text Messages

1. Last night, out of the blue, Maury D'Annato:
Did your hits just go way up?
What? Why do you ask? Did—WHOA, I just got my first-ever link from La Cieca, the world's greatest opera blogger! This is, dears, the classical music blogging equivalent of the Congressional Medal of Honor. I'm still a little dizzy. Did La Cieca just compare me to Alex frickin' Ross? And yes, for a hot minute my hit counter went through the damn roof. 2. Night before last, I got this message from one of my Gregs, who's caught Eighth Blackbird on their tour of the West Coast, reading simply:
OMG bearinettist = dreamboat.
Y'see people?? I do not lie. Now okay, that right there speaks for itself, but later Greg also shared some very interesting thoughts on the Reich and Rzewski pieces we discussed earlier, so remind me to tell you all about it. 3. & 4. Did you hear that Glenn Branca was one of two electric guitarists to win $25,000 grants from the Foundation for Contemporary Arts? Well the other electric guitarist was this Mick Barr guy, who is from around here! So I txt msg'd my friend Kyle, the lead singer of Mick Barr's old band, for comment:
Haha! Knowing Mick, he'll spend it on Danzig bootlegs.
A minute later:
Or a deluxe ant farm.
He's kidding, people, he's kidding! He loves the Mick Barr! And his music. Although, weirdly, when I listen to Barr's records, they kind of sound like they'd be made by somebody who could manage spend $25,000 on either Danzig bootlegs or a deluxe ant farm. Or maybe somebody who could tell Philip Glass that Two Pages (for Steve Reich) needs a little more focus.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of OMFG, I really think that Lives of the Great Composers needs updating:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dH09vH8EqfRX/610x.jpg

January 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home